How to Apply a Hock Bandage to Your Horse
Louisa Broughton BVSc GPCert(EqP) from Vet Services Wairarapa (www.vetserviceswairarapa.co.nz) runs through how to apply a hock bandage.
- Activate wound dressing (excellent for dirty wounds, big surface area and flexible to apply, https://vetpro.co.nz/product/activate/)
- Soffban / Roltasoft x 2. I find the 15cm particularly useful for over the hock or carpus wounds.
- Cotton wool. Unravel to remove paper first if needed. I find cotton wool a lot easier to prevent bunching than gamgee.
- Crepe bandages x 2, mild tension. Once again 15cm easy. You can reuse these; if you need to wash them they only last one wash before they lose their stretch sufficiently to use for over joints.
- Vetrap/ cohesive dressing x 2, moderate tension except for right at the bottom and over the hock where needs less tension.
- Elastoplast x1. Low tension, overlap above and below bandage to stick to hair.
Published Wednesday 20th of February 2019